LOT NO. 375 - 1961 JAGUAR E-TYPE SERIES 1 3.8 FIA - CHA
- Chassis no.#850051 was the 51st E-Type to be produced at Browns Lane (22/06/1961)
- Finished in Opalescent Silver Grey with red leather it was part of the, historically significant, initial batch of 64 UK dealer demonstrators
- South Devon Garages Ltd of Torquay sold it to its first recorded keeper, Mr E.G.Dawes
- In 2001, it was owned by Ferrari Formula One driver, Eddie Irvine who sent it to J.D.Classics for an upgrade to their lightweight replica specification (£25,056)
- Vented hardtop, boot lid, perspex headlamp covers, Le Mans-spec front sill darts, Dunlop-pattern peg-drive alloy wheels with 3-eared spinners, and a competition-spec engine running triple Weber 48DCOEs
- Currently full race spec. FIA HTP papers (31/12/2029) Period F (1962 - 1965) Class GTS 12
- Most recent MOT is dated 2018. Current V5c and still usable on the road
- An exciting opportunity for an enthusiast who wants to aim for higher-profile events. Surely Classic Le Mans, Tour Auto and Goodwood all beckon as future possibilities
Early production, Series 1 E-types are both extremely rare and very collectable so Silverstone Auctions are very privileged to be offering, not one, but two cars from these early days in our forthcoming Silverstone Classic Online Sale.
This car ~ Chassis no. 850051 ~ was the 51st E-Type to be produced at Browns Lane (the Heritage Certificate confirms the date of manufacture as 22nd June 1961) and is part of the, historically significant, initial batch of 64 UK dealer demonstrators. It was despatched to the West Country where South Devon Garages Ltd of Torquay eagerly took delivery of their Opalescent Silver Grey demonstrator with red leather upholstery and a black soft top and they quickly sold it to its first recorded keeper, Mr E.G.Dawes of Torquay. At the time, Jaguar dealers were under strict instructions not to sell their E-type demonstrators but as a close friend of Tommy Sopwith and John Coombs, fellow powerboat racers and Jaguar racers a few strings were pulled! He appears to have upgraded the car early on for sprints/hill climbs and club racing.
The history file is comprehensive and it would be worthwhile for the car's new owner to investigate further #850051's long and intriguing history. However, with limited research, the file suggests that in 2001 the car was owned by noted Ferrari Formula One driver, Eddie Irvine, and he subsequently sent it to J.D.Classics for an upgrade to their 'lightweight replica' specification. The invoice for this totalled a substantial £25,056 and is fully detailed but, suffice it to say, the Jaguar was now in seriously fast road specification as a factory 'Lightweight Evocation' with lots of external body upgrades, including a vented hardtop, boot lid, perspex headlamp covers, Le Mans-spec front sill darts, Dunlop-pattern peg-drive alloy wheels with 3-eared spinners, and a competition-spec engine running triple Weber 48DCOEs. The cockpit was fitted with competition harnesses, racing seats and a padded transmission tunnel and under the bonnet, were many upgrades to both the engine and the brakes as fully detailed in the paperwork. It was, perhaps, the ultimate road-going E-Type spec of that era.
At one point it was purchased by Silverstone Auctions owner, Nick Whale, and used enthusiastically on fast road rallies. Later, the file shows it was sold through the auspices of, highly esteemed, Eagle E-Types as a used car worthy of their reputation. Various owners have come and gone according to the paperwork, although most recently there is an invoice on file for £215,000 when #850051 was sold by Hofmanns of Henley on Thames to our vendor.
Today, it's now in full racing competition spec and carries current FIA HTP papers for period F (1962 -1965) Class GTS 12 which are valid until 31-12-2029. The most recent MOT is dated 2018 and, as the car still has a current V5C, it is still useable on the road as well as the track, meaning this early fully-historied car is an interesting proposition for International Rallies and Tours that specialise in genuine period cars.
An exciting opportunity for an enthusiast who wants to aim for higher-profile events. Surely Classic Le Mans, Tour Auto and Goodwood all beckon as future possibilities.
You can now book a one-to-one appointment (up to one hour) to view this lot at our central location between 16th and 30th July. Please contact Lionel on 07831 574381 / firstname.lastname@example.org to secure your appointment or to discuss the car in more detail. The health and safety of both our customers and team remains the utmost priority, we are therefore operating to strict COVID-19 guidelines and full instructions for arrival and inspection protocols will be given when making your appointment.