BMW 1800 TI/SA - SOLD
This is now SOLD. Search for similar items.
In 1965, in addition to the standard types, the special model BMW 1800 TI / SA (SA = special version) was produced in 200 units as a homologation car for motorsport. The vehicle was delivered exclusively to licensed racing and sports drivers in Europe and the USA. Technically, the BMW 1800 TI / SA is characterized by the following changes: Extensive modifications to the engine (larger valves, 300 ° camshaft, two Weber double carburettors, compression 10.5: 1, crankshaft with 8 counterweights, so "at least" 130 hp at 6,100 rpm), top speed over 180 km / h (test value ams 24/1964: 192 km / h), front suspension struts with enlarged bearings and hubs and enlarged brake discs, stronger stabilizers front and rear, five-speed gearbox and a more direct steering ratio . Visually, the BMW 1800 TI / SA largely resembles the 1800 TI, so only the nameplate of the BMW 1800 TI adorns it. In the interior, the TI / SA can be recognized by special Restall-Masterfit type bucket seats, a large protruding tachometer and a special wooden steering wheel.
This BMW 1800 TI / SA is one of four vehicles that were delivered to BMW America to advertise the new model. In the following two years the 1800 TI / SA was successfully used in various touring car races at Watkins Glen, Sebring, Road America and many other East Coast circuits.
After a private BMW collector used the TI / SA in various historical races in the USA until 1997, the vehicle was subsequently exhibited in a museum.
In 2006 the BMW was sold in Pebble Beach and brought to England by the new owner. There the vehicle got a new racing engine from Richard Shaw.
In England, the BMW 1800 TI / SA took part in Goodwood several times. In 2007 in the legendary St. Mary's Trophy race and in 2008 at the Members Meeting.